Neonatal Intensive Care Nursing
RNC Certification for Neonatal Intensive Care Nursing (RNC-NIC)
Paper & Pencil testing
See Overview for more information
Only online registrations on this website are accepted. Applications submitted by mail, fax or email will not be accepted and will be returned to the individual.
This registration portal is only for those taking the test via computer or individual paper and pencil testing. If you are taking the test as part of a group or at a PEC course, select Special Testing Opportunities from the menu on the right or contact your PEC sponsor, ICP sponsor or NCC at
for further instructions.
- Registration Catalog - Eligibility, Overview, Fees and Policies
- Guide to Testing Methods - Rules, Procedures and What to Expect
Candidate Guides - Exam Content, Competency Statements, Study Resources and Scoring
This is an outline of topics and areas which may be included in the Neonatal Intensive Care Nursing examination.
- General Assessment and Management (45-50%)
- Maternal History and Risk Factors
- Gestational Age (At Birth)
- Physical Assessment
- Resuscitation and Stabilization
- Fluids and Electrolytes
- Nutrition and Feeding
- Oxygenation and Acid Base Homeostasis
- Developmental Care
- Assess & Manage Pathophysiologic States (40-45%)
- Infectious Diseases
- Genetic Disorders
- Head, Eye, Ear, Nose Throat
- Assess and Manage Psychosocial/ Behavioral Adjustments (<5%)
- Discharge Planning and Follow up
- Grieving Process
- Family Integration
- Professional Issues (<5%)
More detailed outline can be found in the Candidate Guide. Click on Policies and Procedures to download a copy.