Neonatal Intensive Care Nursing
RNC Certification for Neonatal Intensive Care Nursing (RNC-NIC)
Only online registrations on this website are accepted. Applications submitted by mail, fax or email will not be accepted and will be returned to the individual.
Download Candidate Guide for what is tested, procedures, rules and policies
- Download Registration Catalog for detailed overview of the testing process
This registration portal is only for those taking the test via computer or individual paper and pencil testing. If you are taking the test as part of a group or at a PEC course, select Special Testing Opportunities from the menu on the right or contact your PEC sponsor, ICP sponsor or NCC at
for further instructions.
This is an outline of topics and areas which may be included in the Neonatal Intensive Care Nursing examination.
- General Assessment and Management (45-50%)
- Maternal History and Risk Factors
- Gestational Age (At Birth)
- Physical Assessment
- Resuscitation and Stabilization
- Fluids and Electrolytes
- Nutrition and Feeding
- Oxygenation and Acid Base Homeostasis
- Developmental Care
- Assess & Manage Pathophysiologic States (40-45%)
- Infectious Diseases
- Genetic Disorders
- Head, Eye, Ear, Nose Throat
- Assess and Manage Psychosocial/ Behavioral Adjustments (<5%)
- Discharge Planning and Follow up
- Grieving Process
- Family Integration
- Professional Issues (<5%)
More detailed outline can be found in the Candidate Guide. Click on Policies and Procedures to download a copy.