What is NCC?
The National Certification Corporation (NCC) is a not for profit organization that provides a national credentialing program for nurses, physicians and other licensed health care personnel. Certification is awarded to nurses in the obstetric, gynecologic, and neonatal nursing specialties and certificates of added qualification are awarded to licensed health care professionals in the subspecialty areas of electronic fetal monitoring and neonatal pediatric transport.
Since its inception in 1975, NCC has awarded certification or certificates of added qualification to more than 120,000 licensed health care personnel.
Certification Awarded through 2013
- Women's Health Care Nurse Practitioner—15,465
- Inpatient Obstetric Nurse—47,978
- Neonatal Intensive Care Nurse—21,032
- Neonatal Nurse Practitioner—5,883
- Low Risk Neonatal Nurse—5,888
- Reproductive Endocrinology/Infertility Nurse*—594
- Ambulatory Women's Health Care Nurse*—851
- High Risk Obstetric Nurse*—420
- Maternal Newborn Nurse—9,110
- Telephone Nursing Practice Nurse*—1,282
Certificates of Added Qualification Awarded through 2013
- Electronic Fetal Monitoring—16,305
- Gynecologic/Reproductive Health Care for the Primary Care Nurse Practitioner and Nurse Midwife*—86
- Obstetrics for the Primary Care Nurse Practitioner*—18
- Menopause Clinician*—558
- Menopause Educator*—159
- Neonatal Pediatric Transport—803
Is NCC Accredited?
NCC's certification program is accredited by the National Commission for Certifying Agencies (NCCA), the accreditation body of the Institute of Credentialing Excellence. This accreditation means that NCC's certification program was subjected to rigorous third-party review and found to meet "the highest national voluntary standards for private certification." Go to NCCA's Web site for further information on accreditation of certification organizations.
Is NCC Affiliated with AWHONN?
No. NCC is an independent, not for profit national certification organization. AWHONN (the Association for Women's Health, Obstetric and Neonatal Nurses) is a separate membership organization.