Coronavirus (COVID-19) Update 5/01/2020
The current update only pertains to computer testing candidates. PSI opened many Computer Testing Centers on May 1, 2020.
NCC is monitoring the ongoing information related to Coronavirus (COVID-19) and Computer test centers are reopening where governmental entities within a state, city or county allow. PSI, our testing vendor, has begun to open the Computer Testing Centers as May 1, 2020. It is anticipated that many sites will open over the next few months. Candidates in most areas will have a choice of taking the exam using a Computer Testing Center or Live Remote Proctoring. The following is a list of test centers that are closed COMPUTER TESTING CENTERS. If you have questions about a test center being open call PSI scheduling at 1-833-256-1426. Make sure to check your test center to ensure there has not been any closures before driving to the test center. PSI has also made some changes at the test centers implementing precautionary protocols for proctors and candidates. Due to social distancing, the test centers are operating at 50% capacity. It is critical to schedule early in your 90-day eligibility window to get a test center appointment. Information about scheduling and reschedule are as follows:
Protocols and Social Distancing
CHECK-IN Process and Health Questions
- Employees will be provided with face masks, hand sanitizer, and antibacterial wipes.
- Candidates who desire to wear a face mask or gloves will be required to bring them and discard them outside of the PSI testing site using safe and sanitary precautions.
- If a state, city, or country REQUIRES face masks and/or gloves, then candidates MUST ensure they bring their own to the test site. PSI will not provide face masks or gloves and will need to turn away candidates who do not have the proper equipment.
- Test seat availability has been reduced to adhere to CDC/WHO guidelines which require six feet between people. Six feet will be provided between candidate workstations.
- The number of candidates permitted in the lobby for check-in will be reduced to avoid physical contact.
- The TCA and candidate are to maintain six-foot social distancing guidelines. If you have questions raise your hand and the TCA will assist you.
- Face masks and gloves, if worn, will be required to be removed during the check-in process for the purpose of verifying the identity of the candidate as well as capturing the photo of the candidate.
- The face mask and gloves will need to be inspected by the Test Center Administrator (TCA) to ensure there is no security threat. These items will be inspected again upon check out.
- Candidates will complete a health questionnaire that is sent by email prior to the examination. The candidate is required to bring the completed form with them to the testing center.
- The following questions will be asked: 1. Have you traveled or been in close contact with someone who has traveled to a restricted country in the last 14 days? 2. Have you been in contact with someone diagnosed with COVID-19 in the last 14 days? 3. Have you had cold or flu-like symptoms in the last 14 days, including a fever?
- If a candidate answers yes to any of the questions, they will be asked to leave the site and reschedule their examination. Candidates will be required to wait 5 days to reschedule. No fees will be forfeited by the candidate as a result of this action.
- Candidates are encouraged to reschedule on-line through PSI, please see your eligibility letter. If a candidate chooses to reschedule through PSI’s Candidate Call Center, they can expect to have longer than usual wait times. Call Centers are open: 5:30 a.m.-8:00 p.m. PDT M-F, 7:00 a.m.-3:30 p.m. PDT Sat-Sun. Candidates may contact the PSI Candidate Support Services at (833) 256-1426
Test Center Administrators have been instructed to disinfect all equipment using antibacterial wipes, following each test administration. All high touch areas will be sanitized by the TCAs. These areas will include but are not limited to:
- Chair handles
- Test administrator's check-in station
- Door handles
Candidates may request to do their own sanitation of the work area before beginning the exam and can request antibacterial wipes from the Test Center Administrator to sanitize the work area. Candidates may also bring their own disinfected wipes.
- Facemasks will need to be removed during the check-in process to verify identity and take a photo.
- Candidates are responsible for disposing of used facemasks and gloves securely outside of the test center.
Live Remote Proctoring (LRP)
Eight of NCC's exams will be offered through Live Remote Proctoring (LRP) for a limited time during the Pandemic. The three newest subspecialty exams "Care of the Extremely Low Birth Weight Neonate", "Obstetric and Neonatal Quality and Safety" and Neonatal Neuro-Intensive Care" are unable to be offered using LRP. LRP is a new modality for testing offered by PSI. There are long wait times to connect with proctors that is being worked on. Read more about LRP at "Testing with Live Remote Proctoring". Scheduling for LRP can be accessed through your NCC account scheduling link. Please review your eligibility letter for more details.