Women's Health Care Nurse Practitioner
NCC Certification - Women's Health Care Nurse Practitioner (WHNP-BC)
The purpose of the Women’s Health Care Nurse Practitioner Core Certification is to provide an entry level, competency-based examination that tests specialty knowledge and the application of that knowledge for licensed registered nurses in the US and Canada who have completed a US accredited Nurse practitioner program in the role of a Women’s Health Care Nurse Practitioner providing obstetrical, gynecological and primary care to women within inpatient and outpatient settings.
Only online registrations on this website are accepted. Applications submitted by mail, fax or email will not be accepted and will be returned to the individual.
This registration portal is only for those taking the test via computer. If you are taking the test as part of a group or at a PEC course, select Special Testing Opportunities from the menu on the right or contact your PEC sponsor, ICP sponsor or NCC at email@example.com for further instructions.
- Registration Catalog - Eligibility, Overview, Fees and Policies
- Guide to Testing Methods - Rules, Procedures and What to Expect
Candidate Guides - Exam Content, Competency Statements, Study Resources and Scoring
Current U.S. nursing licensure is required. (Canadian licensure accepted if the APRN graduated from a NCC approved US program.)
Successful completion of an accredited graduate nurse practitioner program that meets NCC program requirements and prepares women's health care nurse practitioners. The program can be a master's, DNP or post-master's. NCC no longer accepts certificate prepared applicants.
- You must take the exam within 8 years of graduation from your program.
- PDF file of your diploma for upload to the NCC website.
- PDF file of your official transcript which documents successful completion of all course work and indicates WHNP program. This must be issued from the school registrar and uploaded with your application. Do NOT have the registrar send separately.
- Post-Master's applicants also need to upload a PDF of their certificate of completion.
- Complete details are in the NP Examination Registration Catalog.
Cost for Computer Testing
- $325 which is composed of a $50 non-refundable application submission cost and a $275 testing fee.
- Incomplete applications are subject to a $30 reprocessing fee.
- After the exam is purchased, there is a 6 hour window to cancel the order. The order can be canceled by going into your account and clicking on the "Cancel Application" under the new certification.
- After 6 hours, an Exam withdrawal Request and fee are required to withdraw.
Details for Computer Testing
- There are no application deadlines and a candidate may submit an application at any time.
- It can take 1 to 14 days to process, review and approve an application.
- Please be sure you are prepared to take the exam within 90 days of the application before you submit
- Eligibility letters are emailed and can also be found in your account.
- If you do not received your eligibility letter or have an eligibility letter in your account within 2 weeks of your exam application submission confirmation, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If determined eligible, you will be placed in the next available 90-day window to schedule and take your exam. The eligibility letter will provide you with the time frame during which time you must schedule and take the exam, and how to schedule the exam.
- You will schedule your own exam appointment with AMP/PSI either by phone or via the internet.
- Exams will be delivered via computer at over 100 AMP/PSI Assessment Centers geographically located throughout the United States.
- Exams will be administered by appointment only Monday through Saturday at 9:00 am and 1:30 pm.
- Candidates are scheduled in a first-come, first-served basis.
- It is recommended that you schedule your testing appointment as soon as possible, as testing sites cannot be guaranteed if you wait. If you wait to the last minute all dates and times may be taken. If this occurs you may have to travel to another site or pay $125.00 to change your eligibility window.
- AMP/PSI test centers are located throughout the country. Sites are subject to change. See the AMP/PSI website, www.goamp.com, for more information.
- Prior to attempting the examination, you will be given the opportunity to practice taking a test on computer.
- A candidate who fails to report for an examination will not receive a refund, but may change their mode of testing. Learn more about eligibility and fees to change your testing date, method of testing or exam category.
- After completing the examination, the candidate will receive a preliminary, unofficial score report.
- Official results will be mailed from NCC within 21 days business days of exam administration (date of certification is based on the date on the official results NOT the exam date).
- You are not certified until you receive your results by mail and the certification appears in your account.
- It is recommended that you read the candidate guide for the exam you are taking so you can become familiar with all NCC policies and procedures. You will be subject to them so it is to your advantage to understand the certification process and rules.
- This certification exam is a 3-hour test consisting of 175 multiple choice items. Of the 175 items, 150 are scored and 25 are used to gather statistical data on item performance for future exams.