Methods of testing
« Back to certification
NCC offers certification by the following administration options:
Individual testing by Computer - the test is taken at one of 250 test centers across the country at NCC's testing vendor AMP/PSI test sites.
Institutional Certification Program (ICP) Testing - these are examinations contracted with employers to give a test at the employer site. You will have a designated test code to register.
Professional Education Consultant (PEC) Testing - these are examinations offered following a PEC educational offering. You have to be registered for a PEC course to apply and will have a designated test code to register.
Military Testing Centers: Military families and professionals working on military bases overseas.
Download Guide to Testing Methods for complete details on testing prior to registering for the exam.
How computer testing works
When and how can I apply?
Registration for Exams is available on demand. Apply online at the NCC website at any convenient time, 24/7.
Testing occurs in 90-day cycles that begin on the date your application is determined eligible. Please be sure you are prepared to take the exam within 90 days of the application before you submit it. Any change in a 90-day window will require a change application and fee.
How is my application processed?
- We will confirm that we have received your application by email.
- It may take up to 2 weeks to process an application.
- If you are determined eligible, you will receive your eligibility letter as an email. It will provide details regarding your 90-day testing window, the time frame during which you must schedule and take the exam, and how to schedule your testing appointment.
- Once you receive the email, it is recommended that you schedule your testing appointment as soon as possible as testing times cannot be guaranteed if you wait. If you have waited to schedule your exam and there are no testing slots you will have to pay a $125.00 change fee to change the testing dates.
- If you do not receive your eligibility letter within 2 weeks of your examination application submission confirmation, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- It is recommended that you read the Candidate Guide for the exam you are taking so you can become familiar with all NCC policies and procedures. You will be subject to them so it is to your advantage to understand the certification process and rules.
How do I schedule an exam?
- You must schedule your own exam appointment with AMP/PSI either by phone or via the internet. Only those who have been found eligible and have been notified by email can schedule an exam.
- Contact information for scheduling your appointment will be provided on your email eligibility letter.
Where can I take the exam?
- Exams will be delivered via computer at over 250 AMP/PSI Assessment Centers geographically located throughout the United States.
- Exams will be administered by appointment only Monday through Saturday at 9:00 a.m. and 1:30 p.m.
- Candidates are scheduled on a first-come, first-serve basis. It is recommended that you schedule your testing appointment as early as possible. If you delay in scheduling you may have to pay a $125.00 change fee to obtain a new testing window. See details in the testing information.
- A candidate who fails to report for an examination will not receive a refund. If eligible they may request a change in their test window or mode of testing.
- AMP Assessment Centers are typically located in H&R Block offices. See the AMP/PSI website, www.goamp.com, for more information.
- Core exams are 3 hours long.
- Subspecialty exams (EFM & NPT) are 2 hours long.
- There are no breaks during the testing time
What kind of computer skills are necessary?
- If you can press on a key on the keyboard or click on a mouse, you have all the requisite skills to take an NCC computer exam.
- Prior to attempting the examination, you will be given the opportunity to practice taking a test on the computer. This does not count against your testing time.
- You can mark questions for review before submitting them at any time during the testing.
- You will have the opportunity complete a survey about your testing experience.