Methods of testing
« Back to certification
NCC offers certification by the following administration options:
Computer Test Center - the test is taken at one of 250 test centers across the country at NCC's testing vendor AMP/PSI test sites. To find out about available test centers near you please call the testing vendor at 833-256-1426 or use the following link to look at TEST CENTERS close to you or in a city you plan to test in. To check to ensure there are no issues at the test center you registered for prior to your test date you can use the following link to see if any centers are closed. PSI will usually notify candidates if or when an issue occurs. A list of CLOSED test centers for your area can be found at CLOSED TEST CENTERS.
Live Remote Proctoring- the test is taken on your own computer in your home or office. Read the details at Testing with Live Remote Proctoring.
Military Testing Centers: Military families and professionals working on military bases overseas.
Download Guide to Testing Methods for complete details on testing prior to registering for the exam.
How computer testing works
When and how can I apply?
Registration for Exams is available on demand. Apply online at the NCC website at any convenient time, 24/7.
Testing occurs in 90-day cycles that begin on the date your application is determined eligible. Please be sure you are prepared to take the exam within 90 days of the application before you submit it. Any change in a 90-day window will require a change application and fee.
How is my application processed?
- We will confirm that we have received your application by email.
- It can take 1 to 14 days to process, review and approve an application.
- Please be sure you are prepared to take the exam within 90 days of the application before you submit
- If you are determined eligible, you will receive your confirmation and eligibility letter as an email. This information will also appear in your NCC account. It will provide details regarding your 90-day testing window, the time frame during which you must schedule and take the exam, and how to schedule your testing appointment.
- If you do not receive your eligibility letter or do not have an eligibility letter in your account within 2 weeks of your exam application submission confirmation, please CONTACT US and choose "My application that I already submitted".
- Once you receive the email, you must schedule your testing appointment within the first 30-days of your eligibility window as testing times cannot be guaranteed if you wait.
- Download the NCC Guide to Testing Methods, this guide details the procedures, rules, and policies for all testing methods and gives you an overview of what to expect during the examination process. Candidate Guides and the NCC Guide to Testing Methods can be downloaded from the NCC website at any time.
How do I schedule an exam?
Where can I take the exam?
- Exams will be delivered via computer at over 250 AMP/PSI Assessment Centers geographically located throughout the United States.
- Test Center Exams will be administered by appointment only Monday through Saturday at 9:00 a.m. and 1:30 p.m.
- Candidates must schedule within the first 30-days of their eligibility window and are scheduled on a first-come, first-serve basis. It is recommended that you schedule your testing appointment as early as possible. If you delay scheduling you may have to pay a $125.00 change fee to obtain a new testing window. See details in the testing information.
- A candidate who fails to report for an examination will not receive a refund. If eligible they may request a change in their test window or mode of testing.
- AMP Assessment Centers are typically located in H&R Block offices. Call the PSI scheduling number at 1-833-256-1426 for more information about sites near you. Or look at open sites near you at OPEN TESTING SITES. If you have been found eligible you can go to the scheduling link in your account and pick "Test Center" and you can look at available sites near your city and state.
- Core exams are 3 hours long.
- Subspecialty exams (EFM & NPT) are 2 hours long.
- There are no breaks during the testing time
What kind of computer skills are necessary?
- If you can press on a key on the keyboard or click on a mouse, you have all the requisite skills to take an NCC computer exam.
- There is a HELP section prior to taking the exam that provides detailed information on the use of the comment box, bookmarking questions, using arrows, using the calculator, exit button, and navigation control. To review some of this information prior to the exam see Computer Testing Information.
- Prior to attempting the examination, you will be given the opportunity to practice taking a test on the computer. This does not count against your testing time.
- You can mark questions for review before submitting them at any time during the testing.
- You will have the opportunity to complete a survey about your testing experience.