For those who do not wish to take the continuing competency assessment, there is an alternate maintenance option available.
Details on this are below. To select the alternative maintenance approach, sign in to your account and go to your on-line maintenance application by clicking the link "Access Maintenance Application" in your account or by going to the maintenance tab on the home page of the NCC website and clicking on "Maintenance Application". Click on the button for the certification specialty you want to maintain via alternate maintenance to see the details and to make the selection to use alternate maintenance for your maintenance option.
No alternate maintenance applications will be accepted any earlier than 6 months prior to the maintenance due date.
The process will entail the following (subject to change)
It will be required that you select the alternate maintenance process by signing a statement of declaration that you have voluntarily opted out of the continuing competency assessment before you enter your online maintenance application.
- 50 hours of CE is required which is assigned across each of the designated competency areas for the specific certification specialty. An alternate education plan will be generated and will need to be followed.
- You can use CE any time earned during your 3 year certification cycle.
- The fee is $175 and no discounts will be afforded for taking any NCC CE modules. There are no refunds on the $175 fee.
- All CE activities will need to be documented by uploading a copy of the educational activity's curriculum/conference brochure/lecture description in PDF format. This information should give some idea of what the content was for this CE.
- A copy of each certificate of completion (CE certificate received for the lecture or conference) will also have to be provided in PDF format which will show title, date, accreditor and amount of CE.
- You must list each CE activity including, title accreditor and number of hours awarded must be completed. The accreditor who provided the approved CE is always listed on the CE certificate.
- Each activity must match the uploaded documentation otherwise it will not be accepted.
- Only CE will be accepted for meeting alternate maintenance requirements. Activities such as preceptorship, presentation of educational sessions etc. will not be accepted.
- All CE must be accredited by agencies recognized by NCC. Review "Is my CE acceptable" for more information.
- If individuals fail to maintain under this alternate option and qualify for reinstatement, the filing requirements for reinstatement will mimic those of alternate maintenance.
- The maintenance process is not automatic. Once you submit, your application will be reviewed for compliance with the maintenance requirements. Although this process usually takes 3-5 days, please be aware that this process can take up to two weeks for alternate maintenance based on volume of applications received or if your application is chosen for random audit. If you are required to turn in an updated Certification certificate before it expires you should submit you alternate maintenance application at least 4 weeks prior to the final date, please plan accordingly. If certification is required for your employment you need to insure you submit at least 4 weeks before your maintenance deadline.